How I Got My Tickets
April 30, 2010 at around 3pm, I checked my phone to check for unread text messages. Dang, it ran out of battery. So I got my charger and charged my mobile phone. I immediately turned it on. There was a single unread message on my inbox and it read:
"Hi please call ms letty at______ for your kelly clarkson tickets -philippine star"
I was shaking after reading the message. Then there's doubt. For real? I won tickets to Kelly Clarkson's concert? And the answer is "Oh My God, YES!" I really won tickets to Philippine Star's text promo which I saw on our office's newspaper.
Imagine, I was still at work when I got the text and when I called Philippine Star, Ms. Letty asked me to immediately get the ticket at their office (located in Intramuros) which closes 6pm. I didn't know what to do. I can't leave the office (which is in Quezon City) until 6pm or else I'll on undertime. But I told myself, this my last chance to watch the concert. I went on undertime and left the office at 5pm. Rushed to LRT Line 2 and took a "Pier" jeepney in Manila. I made it to Philippine Star's office at 6:20pm and got my ticket! Lucky me! Haha!
Kelly Clarkson: The Concert Experience
So I got two Upper Box B tickets to the concert. I decided to share one with my eldest sister who's celebrating her birthday on June 4 (early birthday gift! Haha!). We left for Araneta at about 6pm and got there at around 7pm. Had lunch before entering the Big Dome. We were inside Araneta Coliseum by 7:45pm. It's still not packed. Still a lot of vacant seats. Filipinos are always late, you know. By 8:15, the opening act started their set. I'm not quite sure who they are. He looks very similar to Miguel Escueta though. I did my research and it was him indeed. Haha!
Kelly Clarkson did not show up until 9:30pm. She opened the show with "All I Ever Wanted" which is also the title of the concert. She sang a lot of her hits to which the crowd responded with applause and loud cheers. Below is the setlist of the concert:
- All I Ever Wanted
- Miss Independent
- I Do Not Hook Up
- That I Would Be Good (Alanis Morissette cover)/Use Somebody (Kings of Leon cover)
- If I Can't Have You/Can't Get You Out of My Head (Kylie Minogue cover)
- Never Again
- Lies (The Black Keys cover)
- Acoustic Medley
- Just Missed The Train
- Behind These Hazel Eyes (Acoustic)
- I Want You
- Don't Let Me Stop You
- Because of You
- Walk Away
- Since U Been Gone
- Already Gone
- Seven Nation Army (The White Stripes cover)
- My Life Would Suck Without You
Checkout concert photos below. By the way, thanks to kellyfied and diego_baliw for the close-up shots!
I'm not going to be too technical on this one. Overall, Kelly did a very good job. She sang her heart out and mesmerized her audience. From start to finish, she sang all her songs LIVE. She seems to never get tired, jumping and dancing her butt off. She was very energetic the whole time. She also interacts with the audience. She talks to us and asks this question from time to time, "Manila, are you enjoying the show so far?" To which the audience always answered with a loud "Yes!".
I have always loved Kelly Clarkson, but this experience made me love her more. They say that the true test for a great singer is if she can sing her songs live and Ms. Clarkson definitely delivered. It's as if you're listening to her albums. It's that perfect. This girl is the true definition of a great artist - one who sings from the heart and connects with her audience. She may not have one of those "theatrical" concerts with all the props and lasers and stuff but Kelly Clarkson has the "voice" and the charisma to capture the hearts of those who listens to her. Same weapon she used to capture our hearts during her AI days. Maybe that is why she is the Ultimate American Idol after all.
- Kelly performed barefoot throughout the show.
- She only wore two outfits for this show - a sequined top which she wore first and a black coat which she wore towards the end of the show.
- There were vacant seats here and there and we were even asked to go down to the Upper Box A area to fill empty seats there. But before Kelly started her set, Araneta was almost full.
- The show started at 9:30 and ended at around 11pm.
- Concert merchandise were sold at the venue but were too pricey (for me)
- Highlight of the show was when she sang her hits "Behind These Hazel Eyes", "Walkaway", "Since U Been Gone", "Already Gone" and "My Life Would Suck Without You" (videos below).
Behind These Hazel Eyes
Since U Been Gone
My Life Would Suck Without You