STM Album Review: The Other Side of Down - David Archuleta


TRACKLIST:

1. The Other Side Of Down
2. Something ‘Bout Love
3. Elevator
4. Stomping The Roses
5. Who I Am
6. Falling Stars
7. Parachutes And Airplanes
8. Look Around
9. Good Place
10. Complain
11. Things Are Gonna Get Better
12. My Kind Of Perfect

Two years after the release of his self-titled debut album, David Archuleta is now ready to give us “The Other Side of Down.” Having written 10 out of the 12 cuts from this CD, Archuleta describes “TOSOD” as a “more personal” and “meaningful” album. If I am to describe this album, I think I’d use the same words as Archuleta’s. This is another side of David we have yet to hear, know and discover, very different from the pop-R&B sound of his debut album.

If “David Archuleta” is an awesome pop-R&B album, then “TOSOD” is a perfect album. Literally “perfect” lyrics-wise and melody-wise. Add to that Archie’s “perfect” vocals and you have one of the best pop albums this decade.

Archuleta and his team of writers were actually able to duplicate the feeling of excitement we got from Archie’s debut album and not only that, I think the excitement was multiplied 12x this time around. I literally have no tracks to skip on this effort and I just love the fact that each cut has a different feel to it. There’s a little dance-pop element on “Something ‘Bout Love” and “Look Around”; a little pop-rock flavor on “Good Place”; there are David’s heartfelt love songs like “Complain,” “Things Are Gonna Get Better” and “My Kind of Perfect” and not to forget the awesome pop cuts like “Parachutes and Airplanes,” “Who I Am” and the new single, “Elevator”.

My favorite cuts from this album would definitely include the pop-rock anthem “Stomping the Roses”. You just gotta love the addicting melody of the song. I also find it amusing that Archuleta is finally singing an “I-Hate-You” song. Very Kelly Clarkson!

Another “TOSOD” cut I love is the tear-jerker “Falling Stars”. Produced by the people behind David’s mega hit “Crush”, “Falling Stars” starts as a piano-driven ballad and eventually turns into a pop-R&B track with killer bits. Not to mention the genius lyrics about lost love and breaking-up.

Last but definitely not the least, who wouldn’t love the album’s title track, “The Other Side of Down”? If you wanna get inspired, I suggest you listen to this song with killer lyrics about trying to stay positive about anything and everything in life.

Overall, I would say that TOSOD is a very solid pop album. This disc is something that pop music lovers would definitely enjoy listening to, over and over again. There’s no way for this boy but up. He has truly managed to grow a lot on this effort. And I think, aside from the beautiful melodies on “TOSOD”, an added bonus is the fact that David Archuleta was able to translate all his feelings into great pop songs which aren’t only great to listen to, but great to relate to as well.

REPEAT: Stomping The Roses, Falling Stars, The Other Side of Down, Parachutes and Airplanes, Who I Am

SINGLE-WORTHY TRACKS: Stomping The Roses, Falling Stars, The Other Side of Down

STM RATING:


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails